Thursday, April 10, 2014

Finding your perfect diamond cut Part 1

Happy April, everybody! If you are lucky enough to be born in April, then you my friend have the pleasure of having the diamond as your birthstone. You are the only people who actually like their birthstone! Lets not mention this to November, October, or August babies (topaz, opal, and peridot, respectively). Honestly, if done right, all of these gemstones are stunning! But its the start of April, and we want to talk about diamonds.

Now, if you are in a serious relationship and your future mate for life is giving you all sorts of hints that you will be acquiring a new engagement ring, you probably have done some research about what you want. OR lets say you have a very serious relationship with your cat and you are a girl who does her research WAY in advance just in case you run into Chris Evans at a Starbucks, fall in love, and he whisks you away with his super strong Captain America arms and takes you straight to a jeweler. A girl needs to be prepared ;) 

Lets break it down. Part 1 is going to just cover your basic cuts. I will go into fancy and more unique cuts in another post. I started writing about all of these cuts, and it was very long. Super long. Imagine running into a friends ex, and trying to detail every single moment to your girl friend in an email. Yeah, that long. I can talk about diamonds for days. 



We have to start with the round brilliant cut. The most popular cut of diamond, ever. I don't think I'm exaggerating. I'm sure there is a pie chart out there proving my point, but you will just have to take my word on this for now. It's timeless, classic, and the most flattering on almost everyone. 




If you like the look of the round brilliant but want to be a little more unique, go for an oval diamond. It will give you an illusion of looking larger than a round brilliant of the same weight. Who doesn't want a diamond that looks larger, but costs less because it weights less? Hello! Win win diamond situation here people. Hence, the rise in popularity with this cut. I have an oval, so you know it must be cool. 



Princess cut, for all you princesses out there. If you like sharp edges, modern lines, and square things (yup, I just said square things) you will love a princess cut. I didn't do a very good job describing that did I? Who needs a reason WHY you like a certain cut? Do you like how it looks? Then there you go!

With all of these cuts, you really need to try them on to know for sure that it will be the right diamond for you. It's similar to looking at wedding dresses. I see this everyday. A beautiful girl comes in with only one ring picture in her mind that she has been dreaming about, finally gets a chance to see it in person, tries it on, and...hates it. I see her excitement crumble, and disappointment set in. 



Stay tuned for part 2! Part 2 will have more fancy cuts, aka: cuts you probably haven't given a second thought about or have no clue about. This is what I'm here for :) 

Again, if you find any of these rings irresistible, email me for more details
elissasommers@gmail.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment