Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Antique engagement rings and why you should rock these old rocks!

My all time favorite trend in jewelry at the moment has to be antique jewelry. I'm talking OLD stuff. Cameos, old mine cut diamonds, pearls that have turned a beautiful yellow/gold color from years of perfume and hairspray. I can't really call it a "trend" because we all at one point found an old broach or pendant at a yard sale or our mother's jewelry box and wore that vintage find with pride. However, the "antique" trend is making its way into Bridal jewelry. Once brides get a hold of it, Pin 50 of the same ring on their "Future Mrs." board on Pinterest, its officially a trend in my book. Who am I to judge? My original dream engagement ring was inspired from an Edwardian era Platinum and diamond ring. Did I get it? Well, not really. My husband came in the store while I was on vacation with a dear friend, and he picked out a beautiful ring. He proposed, 3 months after he purchased the ring BTW, which is a crazy long time but I had already waited 6 years, what was another 3 more months haha. So he had told me I can make the ring I wanted. We made the ring, it was beautiful, but I didn't want it. It wasn't the ring that he picked. It wasn't the ring that he brought his mother into the store to help him choose, not the ring that my father showed him, not the ring my youngest sister had to keep secret for 3 months from me. The ring was made, but it wasn't for me. Maybe on our 10 year wedding anniversary we will design something together. I guess I'm all sentimental like that. 

Anyways, lets talk about some of my favorite antiques that we have. I have photos! These two are both Platinum and have old mine cut diamonds and are both very old. We are thinking some time around the 1940's. When I say "Old mine cut" diamonds, this is referring to the way the diamond was cut. Both a brilliant cut (a modern cut) and an old mine cut both have the same number of facets, 58, but the old mine didn't follow any uniformity in the cutting like they do today. One side of the diamond could be thicker than the other side, the facets might not be the same size or symmetrical to its opposite side. This creates a very unique look, something that I always am looking for in a piece of jewelry. If you want to learn more, check out this great article from a trade magazine, Rapaport Magazine


So consider an antique ring for your engagement ring! It will be unique, and has a story to tell. Even better yet, if you have a family ring that is being passed down to you, have it restored instead of trading it in. Its a lovely way to remember a family member, and to keep the jewelry in the family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment